Riri: I Prefer To Be A Migrant Worker!

By Karirin Hamundewa.

A woman, a fresh graduate, facing challenges in finding a job opportunity, whether to stay in the city where she studied, to return home to work in her hometown or  to start an entrepreneurship or other options.

I am Riri, a young girl from East Sumba. I chose to work abroad, specifically in Hong Kong, because I’ll get a higher income than working domestically. This is not without reason, I have to pay for my younger brother's education in my hometown and to save money to build a house even a small one. Indeed, before working as an Indonesian Migrant Worker, after completing college in Yogyakarta, I worked as an honorary teacher in my home area, but the salary I received was not sufficient for my own needs, and even supporting my younger brother and saving, so working abroad became an option.

Working abroad requires high standards, not only personal readiness but also administrative completeness. Apart from mental, courage, physical, and spiritual readiness, my family supports my choice because they believe I will do my best. Foreign language skills are important, and my English graduate background is very helpful. There are three language options for working in Hong Kong, namely English, Mandarin, or Cantonese. I have experience working abroad, in Malaysia before, which helps me qualify to work in Hong Kong. Administrative equipment includes passports, labor supply files, and employment contract files including insurance. Before going abroad, the worker candidates receive training from labor supply companies so that they are ready to work abroad.

In Hong Kong, I was responsible for domestic work, cleaning the floors and rooms, and accompanying the children to study. It often happens that I go to bed late because I have to accompany them to study or do their home assignments, after then I can shower and sleep. Apart from the salary, I get other benefits such as additional local language vocabulary even just a little, cooking new food, and getting to know the local culture. I am still interested in continuing the work contract because I want to build a small house of which the foundation has been completed. I felt happy that in Hong Kong I met workers who came from the same area.

Concerning women and the world of work, female migrant workers here are independent and enthusiastic about continuing to work abroad if their employers still give them the opportunity, especially when their age is enough to postpone marriage. For all women, please equip with sufficient knowledge and information, whether working domestically or abroad, be brave enough choosing to move forward to work and to achieve the dreams. ***

Comments